[Gllug] speech synthesis

Tom Gilbert tom at linuxbrit.co.uk
Mon Aug 20 19:43:30 UTC 2001

* Rob Andrews (rob at impure.org.uk) wrote:
> [Mon, Aug 20, 2001 at 08:28:12PM +0100] Tom Gilbert whispered thus:
>  > It's not hard, install festival, and do stuff like
>  > fortune | festival --tts
>
> Similarly, it takes LISP-like input in interactive mode... e.g.
>
> festival> (SayText "i like monkeys")

I used to play with this in my .muttrc,
macro pager Y "|festival --tts\r"

So the Y key would read my mail to me. I even set it up to read my mail
to me while I was in the shower. Unfortunately that gets really
frustrating, as even with some of the nicer voices you can get (and some
of them are wicked), it's 20 times faster to just read the stuff :)

Great for the partially sighted tho.

Oh, and hearing it read out signatures was _pain_ :)

Tom.
--
   /V\    | Tom Gilbert, London, England | http://linuxbrit.co.uk |

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk