[Gllug] OT: Just probing the job market in London

tet at accucard.com tet at accucard.com
Thu Aug 16 11:37:53 UTC 2001

>Personally, I didn't finish my degree and was lucky enough to get
>a Solaris sys ad. role regardless. Now when looking for jobs I
>generally ignore the "graduate required" ones and don't seem to have
>much trouble. Maybe in a couple of years I'll hit a ceiling because
>of my lack of formal qualification but for the time being it doesn't
>seem to be causing too much of a problem.

If anything, I suspect you'll experience precisely the opposite.
Certainly, as I've gained more experience, I've found my degree
to be pretty much irrelevant when it comes to finding work.
Experience is everything, and except for new graduates, formal
qualifications mean little. Think of it as spending 3 years buying
yourself a hold on the bottom rung of the ladder. From there you
can move up, but without a degree, it's much harder to even get
to that starting point.

Tet

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk