[Gllug] focus control in KDE

Nix nix at esperi.demon.co.uk
Thu Aug 23 20:44:58 UTC 2001

On Wed, 22 Aug 2001, David Damerell said:
> On , 22 Aug 2001, Nix wrote:
>>Am I the only one who finds GNOME's session manager (and/or the X
>>session management protocol) to be impoverished to the point of
>>uselessness?
>
> No. I handle this primarily by never logging out. :-)

Same here :)

> But I don't really use Gnome as Gnome; I have the panel around (at the
> _side_ of the screen, so it doesn't eat vertical real estate as in the
> stupid default)

I don't know about stupidity. I have a pair of panels, one a sliding
small panel in the upper left, on autohide, with the menus and launchers
and gnotes controls and other control things in it, and the other in the
upper right, similarly small sliding, but without pixmap arrows and not
on autohide, with odometer, gweather, a binary clock and such in it.

>                 as a convenient program launcher, clock, CPU/memory

I'm old-fashioned there; xterm is my program launcher, and xdaliclock is
my clock :)

> monitor,

I don't use the GNOME system monitors because procmeter knocks the
socks off all of them.

>          desk guide (something where I think sawfish's minimalism goes

Likewise; when I'm in a sawfishy mood I use that too. (In a fvwmy mood I
use its own pager, but I almost never actually *use* it because I have
inter-screen motion bound to alt-gr and cursor keys.)

> Too Far), etc.; and I have another minimised panel with the tasklist
> in, because you can never have too many ways of finding windows; but I

I don't need that; I just add more layers of virtual screens. I'd like
an n-dimensional virtual desktop system; you can only see and move in
two dimensions of it at once (or maybe three) but you can take arbitrary
slices and projections of the n-dimensional space as your paging space.

That would let you have `sub-desks' (using different dimensions) for
different subprojects... but probably only a mathematician or scientific
type would be able to make sense of it for values of n above 3.

> don't really use 'Gnome applications' at all. Who needs anything but
> xterms and emacsen, anyway?

I dunno; I use galeon, procmeter, and xdaliclock too :) (oh, and I use
rxvt and xemacs, but that's just a religious divide.)

> [Plus, on this Sun, it's GNOME or CDE; and I'd rather cut off my own
> toes than use CDE.]

You mean you *don't like OpenWounds*? You amaze me.

>>desktop and be stuck to that desktop, while another one (which isn't
>>ssh'd) should follow me around from desk to desk, stickily.
>>I can't find *anything* that can handle that other than fvwm2 or raw
>>Lisp in sawfish.
>
> In recent sawfishes, the stickiness of these procmeters might be
> doable with the 'Matching Windows' options, without a need for Lisp.

Oh yes, definitely, since you can vary the procmeter's window class on
the command-line, a matcher should certainly be able to catch that.

>>Certainly nothing that relies on GNOME's insipid
>>program-starting stuff could start that correctly that I can see.
>
> Have the 'non session managed startup programs' include a script that DTRT?

That's what I eventually resorted to. But it feels like a *kludge*. What
if I was doing X stuff remotely from another machine when I shut down?
The damn session manager would grab it and try to start it on this one!

At least it should have a way of telling where X connections are coming
from, so it can ignore remote ones!

--
`It's all about bossing computers around. Users have to say "please".
Programmers get to say "do what I want NOW or the hard disk gets it".'

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk