[Gllug] [Fwd: Re: [LBC] Demon]

Jon Masters jonathan at jonmasters.org
Tue Aug 21 16:04:57 UTC 2001

On 20 Aug 2001 21:53:07 +0100, Nix wrote:

> > Cc: gllug at linux.co.uk helpdesk at demon.net
>
> I don't believe *that* got through. Not with that header.

It didn't but I forwarded, and I blame my use of evolution there - there
are still a few little things I'm getting used to with it but overall
I'm very impressed with it :)

> Once upon a time, they were planning to have redundancy cause fewer
> points of failure.

The box that failed was a Black Diamond from Extreme (probably one of
those quad redundant monsters). It's always been my opinion that it is
better to have several less monsterish boxen than one mother fskcing
thing which only one person understands and which can take out the whole
damn system.

> It appears that the Thus `management' have quashed
> that, as well as introducing lawyers into the process of getting a
> network status message into status at gate and muzzling the staff.

I did speak to an excellent chap at the helpdesk who confirmed that he
has not been "brainwashed" yet by the Thus collective, and he even has a
sense of humour (we were discussing whether avian carriers were more
effective than their network on Sunday and which of the two RFCs is
best) - just confirms that it's not the majority of the tech staff at
fault, just the monkeys in charge - and this chap said he'd pass my
comments on to the monkeys for me so he must know what I mean :)

> the techies want to do a
> good job and are prevented from doing so.

That's my feeling. Still, I only work around the corner from a node of
their collective - I shall go talk to more monkeys again shortly.

--jcm

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk