[Gllug] svgalibs and emulators

William Palfreman william at palfreman.com
Thu Aug 16 20:33:54 UTC 2001

I've been playing with spectemu Spectrum emulator using svgalibs (i.e. I
chose not to run it in X) and I noticed that the emulator halts when I
switch virtual consoles - when you are loading a tape file it makes sense
to check your email on another VC, right?  I found that it definitely
halts when it is not the active screen, no matter how many emulators you
run on different consoles.  Now it makes for a very authentic Spectrum
experience to have to watch the flashing screen while a tape file loads
from the hard disk at tape speed, but it seems a bit odd.  Is because the
emulator is directly accessing the video hardware through svgalibs, so no
screen = no process, or what?  I know it is written in 386 assembly
language, but I wouldn't have thought that would make any difference to
its multitaskingness.  Does anyone know what the mechanics of it actually
are?

--
W. Palfreman.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk