[Gllug] Linux Roadshow

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Mon Dec 10 16:54:47 UTC 2001

On Mon, Dec 10, 2001 at 11:00:15AM +0000, Eddie Bleasdale <eddie at netproject.com> wrote:
> Who is going to pay for this work? If software is free and consultancy is
> free what is the business model for Open Source? Without making money the
> Open Source movement will not be seen to be viable. This is a major barrier
> to the adoption of Open Source.
>
> The value of consultancy is determined by the amount of money that can be
> charged. Free consultancy is not valued and so is worthless.  For more read
> 'Selling the Invisible'.
>
> The issue is not showing people what can be done but getting them to
> realise that continuing their existing vendor specific approach is only
> resulting in them throwing good money after bad. Also that their careers
> are in jeopardy.

I quite agree.

Open Source does have the benefit of being able to draw on resources that aren't just
cash motivated, but there is (or should be) a good market for paid for consultancy.

I don't know how we can get rid of the "some consultancy (or better put advice) is for
free, therefore all OpenSource consultancy should be for free". Or "I way my share of
the free consultancy and am going to continue paying through the nose for proprietary
stuff until I get it".

--
Alain Williams

#include <std_disclaimer.h>