[Gllug] Mounting SMB shares on X Login

Xander D Harkness xander at harkness.co.uk
Mon Dec 10 17:06:17 UTC 2001

On Mon, 2001-12-10 at 16:53, Daniel Fairs wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm setting up a couple of Linux desktops as a trial for replacing Windows.
> However, I need to get each user's home directory on our NT server mounted
> on /home/usr/Documents when they log in.
You can enter the directories into an automount daemon; these are then
mounted as required.

You could of course mount all the shares all the time and just copy the
fstab between the computers

hence in the file /etc/fstab you would have //ntserver(orIP)/share
/mount/point smb(fstype) username=username,password=password

This assumes that you do not change the passwords on the NT server which
is not such a great idea.  It would probably work without passwords as
long as the Linux password is the same as the NT one.  You would
therefore not need the username and password (someone who has done this
more recently please correct me here :-)

> Does anyone know how to let users mount shares with smbmount (it complains
> that it has to be run as root)? Otherwise, how will smbmount get the correct
> authentication information? Also, how do I mount different directory under a
> share per-user?
You need to alter the permissions on the smbmount executable.

This makes it less secure but not much I think.  Have a look on google
for set UID

Cheers
Xander

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk