[Gllug] DHCP & DNS

Martyn Drake martyn at alug.org.uk
Thu Dec 6 13:02:18 UTC 2001

Hi,

Unfortunately you're going to get this type of behaviour in virtually
all companies.  Despite sending out warning emails and memos to staff,
these fools continue to open up attachments from unknown sources which
then, due to inadequate virus protection on the network and
workstations, begin to spread across the entire company network.

This has happened many, many, many times to one particular company
(quite a well known one, but I shall name no names here!) who use
Outlook, and Microsoft Exchange Server.  Yet, they claim they are very
security conscious by having Cisco PIX firewalls in place.  I've even
offered to help them set-up a reliable anti-virus desktop solution and
replace their Exchange box with a Linux box running Exim, Amavis and
Sophos SWEEP which IMHO is a far better solution than all this Microsoft
crud that they've got at the moment.

As for an even more off-topic subject - has anybody else here noticed
that Iomart ADSL have now finally gotten around to adding reverse DNS
entries to it's static IP address block?  I've finally now have a fully
resolvable static IP address with a proper FQDN!  It's only taken them
the best part of four/five months to do this (possibly longer, I've only
been a user since June).

Regards,

	Martyn

--