[Gllug] [OT] while we're flaming anyway.. (was: Erratic Mouse Behaviour)

Pete Ryland pdr at pdr.cx
Mon Dec 10 00:52:02 UTC 2001

Mate,

For starters, take my comments with a grain of salt, since I'm about 10
parts loaded and just got home...

That said, you should realise that this list is a forum for linux users.
That's why it's called a linux users' group.  It's not primarily about
helping windows users to learn linux, although, as you may have noticed,
most linux users are quite happy to help windows users find their feet
within linux.  It may take a few years for you to get accustomed to the
linux way of doing things, but don't let that discourage you - it was scary
for all of us at first, although some may hardly remember how scary it was.
I'm sure it would take me some time to get accustomed to the nitty gritties
of windows if I was to try to learn how to use it (I'm sure a lot has
changed in windows in the last five years, when I last used it).  Linux is
*very* different to windows.  I cannot emphasise that enough.  Getting
inflamed (and my comment is to both those who are trying to learn and those
who are trying to explain things :) obviously won't help anyone.  Despite
expressing disinterest in joining the linux "community" and instead just
wanting free technical wisdom (I quote "I did not come here ... to make
friends ... but to get helpful advice about Linux.") the people on this list
have been quite accomodating to your questions.  I am new to this list too,
but I am here as a linux user new to the area (actually, on this note, it
should be remembered that I don't represent anyone else but me when I post.
I don't represent a company, a product, nor even GLLUG itself - but I do
hope that my other posts are helpful, funny, or whatever to the other
members of the forum).  Our "resolution" you speak of was off-list in case
you didn't notice, but this mail is explicitly posted to the list in the
hopes that other non-linux users who read it will show a little respect for
the people who quite happily spend their time dispensing free advice to
those outside the community.  I am happy to be the mug to say all this, but
I am of the opinion that it needed to be said, and on-list.

Pete, quite happy with his drunken typing ability. :)

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk