[Gllug] [OT] while we're flaming anyway.. (was: Erratic Mouse Behaviour)

Kieran Barry kieran at esperi.demon.co.uk
Mon Dec 10 01:45:29 UTC 2001

Hi James,

Disclaimer: I share a house with Nix, so I'm probably biased.

On Sun, 9 Dec 2001 James.Rocks at equant.com wrote:

> Stig,
>
> > That is not a good way of making friends. People are much less reluctant
> > to help you out with problems if they don't get verbally abused for
> > pointing out the mistakes you have done.
>
> With respect you seem not to have noticed that Nix's message was critical
> of me when the issue HAD been fully resolved ... that, & that alone, was
> the reason I reacted to him the way I did. I am not ashamed of this and
> will undoubtedly react similarly to anyone else who is similarly
> "high-handed" in the future.

No.  Wrong.  Bzzt.  What Nix said was that there was another solution.
Then he went back into Linux folklore, to the story of the migration
from version 5 of the C library to version 6.  This move broke pretty
much every program in the system.

And you flamed him.

> I am also terribly sorry if I misled anyone here ... I am a pretty damned
> good MS techie who came here with a relatively open-mind

You need to work on this.  We aren't an advocacy group.  "Linux rools!"
gets pretty tired after a while.  But you seem to be taking _everything_
anyone says as a deliberate and vindictive insult.  Think about that.
Am I correct?

<Snip>

> I did not come here (join this list) to make friends (I have friends
> already) but to get helpful advice about Linux. A number of people have
> been extremely helpful and to them I am grateful but I am getting the
> distinct impression that I will soon be unsubscribing :-)

Well, this list really operates as a chat between friends.  If you don't
want to be part of that...

Perhaps a deep breath would help.  This is _not_ an advocacy list.  It
is _not_ a one-to-one advice line.  Someone asks a question, and there
is a discussion.  People get things wrong in the discussion sometimes,
and their errors tend to get pointed out.

It's useful to have new blood, and we're quite used to it.  I've never
seen someone flamed here for asking newbie questions.  On the other
hand,  I've never seen the newbie flame people for answering newbie
questions.

Regards

Kieran

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk