[Gllug] Installing Stuff?

gllug at uncertainty.org.uk gllug at uncertainty.org.uk
Tue Dec 11 16:08:33 UTC 2001

On Tue, Dec 11, 2001 at 03:34:35PM +0000, Jim Bailey wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> this is my input if people notice glaring errors in my reasoning then
> please let me know as this stuff is quite important.
>
> On Tuesday, December 11, 2001, at 02:07 PM, Ivan Dimitrov wrote:
>
> > you make a habbit to check every day freshmeat.net
>
> You also got bug-track and the various security sites to keep you updated
> with security issues.  Most applications have low traffic mailing lists to
> announce serious security issues and upgrades that way you don't get 500
> emails a day about configuration and installation issues.  Subscribe with
> a group alias to deliver them to every member of your IT team or  and
> create a separate folder in your mail client so you can see whether or not
> you have dealt with them.
>
> Alternatively and I am not sure if this is possible with out some hacking
> but if you use something like RT, (request tracker, a free GPLed product)
> it comes with Debian and should be available for Red Hat, have the
> security and upgrade mails automatically raise a job which then need to be
> closed down.

hmmm....

I think this is where we divide into full-time-sysadmins and 'others'

personally I don't have time for the above

what I do is keep an eye on bugtraq, get RH mails, keep a local copy of
RH updates and run rpm -F * every now and again (minus kernel stuff
which I do by hand)

but then I don't have public facing systems apart from my firewall.

(I still want to be reasoably secure)

> > On Tue, 11 Dec 2001 gllug at uncertainty.org.uk wrote:
> >

> >> compliling from source is easy enough and you get full power - but you
> >> have to keep track of any security issues and updates by yourself :(
>
> this is where I find the mix and match option the best I un-comment the
> Debian security option in /etc/apt/sources.list and can run it daily this
> keeps most stuff fairly secure and up to date.  I don't think that there
> is an equivalent for Red Hat unless you pay them.

Debian does keep getting tempting ...

> >> I have yet to find a good way of keeping tabs on the latest releases of
> >> source packages - subscribing to a list per package is a pian.
>
> If you have public facing systems it is a pain you have to live with and
> it is a lot less painful than explaining to your fat meal ticket corporate
> client and the hard faced security consultant they just hired to help sue
> you, why their site has been hacked and defaced by a spotty 14 year old
> using off the shelf software.

also public systems should probably have a lot less junk on them so
there is less to keep track of.

--

Sean