[Gllug] Windows -> Linux

Simon Stewart sms at lateral.net
Thu Dec 6 13:10:44 UTC 2001

On Thu, Dec 06, 2001 at 10:23:46AM +0000, John Hearns wrote:
> On Thu, 2001-12-06 at 09:23, Daniel Fairs wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I was wondering if anyone had any experience on migrating Windows desktops
> > to Linux. Our company is looking at reducing software licensing costs, and
> > moving to Linux is the obvious answer.
> >
> Yaaay! Just the sort of thing we like to hear,
> and WE'RE ALL GOING TO HELP OUT AREN'T WE.
> With no flame wars please!

Agreed.

> > Fortunately we don't run an Exchange mail server (phew).
> >
> > Does anyone have any experience of overseeing this sort of thing? Any
> > hints/tips/gotchas? Distro recommendations? (I'd probably use RedHat, simply
> > because it's the one I'm most familiar with, though I was very happy with
> > SuSE in the 6.2 days.)
> >
> I'd advise right off that you get the Ximian/Gnome desktop.
> You can do a web download, or just spend a few pounds on the CD
> http://www.ximian.com

>From a personal perspective, I'd actually recommend the KDE over
Gnome. IMHO, the environment as a whole is better integrated
(konqueror is wonderful) and the whole lot feels a bit slicker. The
memory contraints are a bit of a PITA, but Gnome is also reasonably
heavy.

I've also got some "issues" with the direction that Gnome is heading;
the leaning towards .NET worries me slightly.

> Plus StarOffice - again web download.
> Or Abiword for word processing, Gnumeric for spreadsheets etc.

I use KOffice here with only a few problems (none insurmountable,
though)

> > The workstations are all pretty old - P2 266 machines, with 64MB RAM, though
> > I can probably swing an upgrade on the memory front for each of them.
> >
> Ah.
>
> The 64 megs might be a little small for Ximian/Gnome.  And load on
> StarOffice at the same time and you'll run mighty low on RAM.  But
> it won't hurt to have a quick trial.

Ditto KDE, though I used to use it with a P200 MMX with 64MB of RAM,
and it was fine.

Cheers,

Simon

--