[Gllug] Windows -> Linux

Nix nix at esperi.demon.co.uk
Fri Dec 7 23:57:58 UTC 2001

On Thu, 6 Dec 2001, Simon Stewart uttered the following:
> From a personal perspective, I'd actually recommend the KDE over
> Gnome. IMHO, the environment as a whole is better integrated
> (konqueror is wonderful)

Thus speaks someone who hasn't seen Galeon-1.0. (For web browsing, that
is. For file access, I can't comment; I hate graphical file browsers
with a passion.)

>                          and the whole lot feels a bit slicker. The
> memory contraints are a bit of a PITA, but Gnome is also reasonably
> heavy.

I'd recommend the exact opposite, with, er, exactly the same reasoning.

> I've also got some "issues" with the direction that Gnome is heading;
> the leaning towards .NET worries me slightly.

That makes me wince a bit, too, but there's no need to use that crap.
At least it's got *decent* language bindings for a silly number of
languages; KDE is still rather C++-tied (and while I like C++, I like
linguistic diversity more).

--
`The situation is completely under control. All of them were killed.'
     --- Alim Razim, for the Northern Alliance, demonstrating fine

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk