[Gllug] DHCP & DNS

John Hearns john.hearns at framestore.co.uk
Thu Dec 6 13:40:42 UTC 2001

On Thu, 2001-12-06 at 13:02, Martyn Drake wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Unfortunately you're going to get this type of behaviour in virtually
> all companies.  Despite sending out warning emails and memos to staff,
> these fools continue to open up attachments from unknown sources which
> then, due to inadequate virus protection on the network and
> workstations, begin to spread across the entire company network.
>
> This has happened many, many, many times to one particular company
> (quite a well known one, but I shall name no names here!) who use
> Outlook, and Microsoft Exchange Server.  Yet, they claim they are very
> security conscious by having Cisco PIX firewalls in place.

I know for a fact that at least one major London teaching hospital
shut down its email server for most of yesterday, due to the
Goner virus.

Doesn't that concern many people? Especially when we are being told
that the Health Service must move towards a modern electronic
infrastructure, with online access to electronic patient records?
And the day before the head of Microsoft visits the UK?

What the heck will happen if doctors and nurses start to depend on
email?
Actually, being smart people, they are more likely to reject
use of email for vital messages if things like these virus scares are
common- they're not stupid, and they won't come to rely on email.
They'll just use the phone and fax as at the moment.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk