[Gllug] ISPs (was RE: My dad)

Simon Wilcox simonw at simonwilcox.co.uk
Wed Dec 19 18:23:49 UTC 2001

On Wed, 19 Dec 2001, John Davies wrote:

> Hmmmm...are they? What is the press saying? I haven't
> got any complaints so far with Demon, but I've only
> signed up with them a few days ago.

My experiences with Demon over the last six months include:

Patchy routing. Sometimes machines and networks just fall off the net.

Unavailable mail. Mailservers are frequently not available, returning
AUTHFAIL to my fetchmail.

Incorrect mail ordering. Sounds trivial but it really upsets me. I think
it has something to do with their multiple mail servers but I definitely
get mail not in the order it was sent. This is really annoying on lists.

Yes I know there are various ways around it in $mailclient but when the
first mail in a thread doesn't turn up until 30 mins after you've got half
a dozen replies there's not much you can do.

</rant>

Trouble is, no-one seems to be able to recommend anyone better that can
offer me a fixed IP address on dial up.

HTH,

Simon.

--
"We want the finest wines available to humanity, we want them here, and we
want them now!"

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk