[Gllug] Adsl

Martyn Drake martyn at alug.org.uk
Sat Dec 22 16:28:47 UTC 2001

The Alcatel Speedtouch USB ADSL modem will work very happily under
Linux.  The most up-to-date drivers can be found at
http://speedtouch.sourceforge.net.  However, you will also need to
download the Speedtouch firmware from Alcatel
(http://www.alcateldsl.com) which is required by the driver for
operation.
Very easy to install under Red Hat 7.2 and full instructions are
included within the tarball.

In essence all you do is untar the speedtouch drivers into a directory,
do a ./configure and make install within the directory to install the
applications.  You then untar the mgmt.o application from the Alcatel
firmware tarbar and place that somewhere safe.  You then set-up
/etc/ppp/options, /etc/ppp/peers/adsl, /etc/ppp/pap-secrets or
/etc/ppp/chap-secrets and then issue a modem_run -m -f /path/to/mgmt.o,
pppd call adsl and away you go! :)

As a point of interest to anybody out there using Mandrake 8.1 - this
distro  automatically includes the open source Linux drivers (but NOT,
funnily enough, the Alcatel Speedtouch firmware) and will detect your
Speedtouch modem automatically when setting up the Internet connection.
Works quite well.

As for AOL ADSL working with Linux - I doubt it.  If it uses the similar
proprietary network protocols, then I'm afraid you're stuffed.  If
however, it is purely a TCP/IP based connection then you should be okay.

Regards,

	Martyn

Email   : martyn at drake.org.uk
Web     : http://www.drake.org.uk