[Gllug] Mounting SMB shares on X Login

Mike Brodbelt mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk
Mon Dec 10 22:05:46 UTC 2001

On Mon, 2001-12-10 at 16:16, Jonathan Dye wrote:
> At 17:06 10/12/01 +0000, you wrote:
> >On Mon, 2001-12-10 at 16:53, Daniel Fairs wrote:
> >> Does anyone know how to let users mount shares with smbmount (it complains
> >> that it has to be run as root)? Otherwise, how will smbmount get the
> correct
> >> authentication information?
> >You need to alter the permissions on the smbmount executable.
> >
> >This makes it less secure but not much I think.  Have a look on google
> >for set UID
>
> Yikes, then anyone can mount any smb share anywhere surely?  Also, you
> would be able to mount the files with a UID=0 and permission to execute
> files thereby letting anyone have root access effectivly.

The "secure" way of doing it, IIRR is to enter the info into fstab,
specifying the smbfs filesystem, and mount point, with the user option
to allow non-root users to mount it. ISTR that smbmount would read
username and password from environment variables - you could stick these
somewhere not world readable. It's not great, but it can be made to
work.

Mike

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk