[Gllug] Mounting SMB shares on X Login

Daniel Fairs d.fairs at cogtest.com
Thu Dec 13 18:47:24 UTC 2001

> The "secure" way of doing it, IIRR is to enter the info into fstab,
> specifying the smbfs filesystem, and mount point, with the user option
> to allow non-root users to mount it. ISTR that smbmount would read
> username and password from environment variables - you could stick these
> somewhere not world readable. It's not great, but it can be made to
> work.

OK, I'm getting there... I've got a directory /mnt/smb onto which I want to
mount the SMB 'homes' share from my NT server. I've written a little script
which chown's /mnt/smb to the user who's logging in (otherwise smbmount
doesn't work) and I have the entry in /etc/fstab. Now, the user can manually
mount the share, using the mount command, and it asks for their password.
You mention taking the password from the environment - how do you get
pam_smb_auth to store the password in the environment? If I could get at the
password, then I could write an expect script to supply it to smbmount.

The alternative would be to get root to mount /mnt/smb at boot time, again
using expect to supply the password - but then the logged-in user can't
write to it.

Any further thoughts?

Thanks for your help so far...

Cheers,