[Gllug] AppleTalk

kim at aldigital.co.uk kim at aldigital.co.uk
Mon Dec 17 17:14:15 UTC 2001

On Mon, Dec 17, 2001 at 04:21:46PM +0000, Jim Bailey wrote:
> On Monday, December 17, 2001, at 03:35 PM, Stephen Harker wrote:
> > Does anyone know much about netatalk or indeed, AppleTalk protocol in
> > general. I have netatalk running on 2 servers for the benefit of our
> > sole Mac user (Graphic Designer) and in the chooser, the names of the
> > servers used to come up but now they don't and its something to do
> > with zones(?) and I'm stuffed if I can figure out what happened to
> > it. You can enter IP addresses and connect OK but thats a bit
> > annoying. Everything on the www assumes that you already know about
> > AppleTalk and everything about AppleTalk makes no mention of Unix
> > servers.

> may I suggest you try the following mailing list they should be able to
> answer your questions, netatalk-admins at umich.edu.  It may help if you
> restart netatalk at the cmd line on a Red Hat server it is
>
> /etc/rc3.d/S91atalk restart
>
> I know it is not the most satisfactory solution to the problem but it
> works for us on the occasions that we have problems with server
> connections (about once a week).  You should also make sure that you are
> running a pretty up to date version of Netatalk as this will help.

there were various problems with netatalk breaking the kernel
module, but that was in the redhat 5.x era, with associated kernels.
this should be fixed about the same time as the MacOS 8.x updates
and "dancing icons" bug fix ...

i haven't touched this stuff for years, and have no test boxen
ATM...

what version of thingys are you using?

yours,

kim
--
| A.L. Digital Ltd.   Tel: +44 (20) 8742 0755     | "Time is an     |

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk