[Gllug] ssh woes: illegal user

tet at accucard.com tet at accucard.com
Mon Dec 17 17:04:17 UTC 2001

Anyone have the faintest idea why ssh might be giving me the following:

  debug1: userauth-request for user acpp0001 service ssh-connection method none
  debug1: attempt 0 failures 0
  input_userauth_request: illegal user acpp0001
  debug1: userauth_banner: sent
  Failed none for illegal user acpp0001 from 192.168.1.183 port 59187 ssh2
  debug1: userauth-request for user acpp0001 service ssh-connection method publickey
  debug1: attempt 1 failures 1
  Failed publickey for illegal user acpp0001 from 192.168.1.183 port 59221 ssh2

It was working fine yesterday, and has been for some months. Today,
it's stopped working, claiming acpp0001 is an illegal user. To the
best of my knowledge, no one has changed anything. That user has no
password, and the only way to get into the account is by ssh public
key authentication. Which obviously makes life a bit tricky when it
suddenly stops working :-(

>From checking the sshd source, it should only give that error if one
of three conditions occur:

- getpwnam() fails for the username
- the user is not allowed to connect
- the service string doesn't start with "ssh-connection"

Of those, the second will fail if:

- the user is in DenyUser or DenyGroups
- AllowUser or AllowGroups isn't empty, but the user isn't listed
- the users shell is non-executable

Unfortunately, I can't see any of these conditions failing...

This is all with opensshd-2.9p1 on Solaris 8. I can successfully connect
as another user on the same machine using public key authentication. I've
tried regenrating and redistributing keys, but to no avail. I still get
the same error.

Help!!!

Tet

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk