[Gllug] Nutscrape tips

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Wed Dec 5 04:32:06 UTC 2001

On Tue, Dec 04, 2001 at 08:38:10PM +0000, gllug at uncertainty.org.uk wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 04, 2001 at 10:37:52AM +0000, itsbruce at uklinux.net wrote:
> > On 12/3/01, 6:32:25 PM, gllug at uncertainty.org.uk wrote regarding Re:
> > [Gllug] Nutscrape tips:
> >

> > > But NN4 has poor style sheet suport - that's why people stuck with
> > > tables for so long !
> >
> > Eh?  People still use tables, AFAIK.  They just use style sheets to make
> > them look better.
> >

> tables are NOT designed for layout
>
> they make pages very much harder to maintain

Depends how you are working on the pages.  I also create dynamic pages
but find tables a handy way of creating layout, given that current
browser support of CSS standards is so poor and variable.

$layout = new phptml_table_simple;
$layout->addColumn(array($widgetA, $widgetB));
$layout->addBigCell(1,1,0,$widgetC);
$page->add($layout);
$page->show();

Works for me.  CSS takes care of the formatting.  Frankly, if the tables
put the objects in roughly the right place I'll accept that.  I'm more
concerned with having things work across browsers and not look ugly.
Lining up pixels is back down the list, way behind persuading my
employers that Javascript is a Bad Thing and to be used only in extremis.

Processing templates with tables in them can be complex but getting the
designers to use id and class tags helpfully solves most problems.

--
Bruce

Bitterly it mathinketh me, that I spent mine wholle lyf in the lists
against the ignorant.  -- Roger Bacon, "Doctor Mirabilis"