[Gllug] w3m and lynx

Nix nix at esperi.demon.co.uk
Wed Dec 5 23:14:50 UTC 2001

On Wed, 5 Dec 2001, Pete Ryland muttered drunkenly:
> Apparently w3m is better coz it displays tables and frames better or
> something, however I still use lynx, except mutt seems to use w3m by default
> to convert html mail so I haven't bothered to change it.  As for displaying
> images, you can press * iirc to display links to the images which, at least
> in debian, will open in your favorite viewer both on the console and under
> X.  I seem to recall having to fiddle with the config to get this working
> under redhat.

I prefer links for text-mode browsing; it seems to have the usability of
lynx and the display capabilities of w3m.

w3m *is* useful for the w3m package for (X)Emacs (see
<http://emacs-w3m.namazu.org/>); in XEmacs and Emacs 21 this package (in
transparent conjunction with w3m) can display inline images, and it's a
far nicer web browsing interface than w3.

--
`The situation is completely under control. All of them were killed.'
     --- Alim Razim, for the Northern Alliance, demonstrating fine

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk