[Gllug] Like vnc, only text

Alex Hudson home at alexhudson.com
Mon Dec 17 11:08:50 UTC 2001

On Mon, 2001-12-17 at 10:47, Rev Simon Rumble wrote:
> > Is there any kind of tool like vnc for consoles? I basically want
> > remote, programmatic access to a tty on a server. I could log in
> > remotely, but that's not quite what I'm after - something's running on a
> > virtual terminal, and I want to poke my nose in from time to time and
> > possibly issue keystrokes.
>
> This is a very odd request since I presume you know all about the
> classic telnet (which is as insecure as bog-standard VNC) and the
> safer ssh?

Yeah, but I just don't care. :P This is an internal lan I have control
over; I know nobody's sniffing traffic.

> If what you want to be able to do is have open tty sessions and
> reconnect to them, what you're after is screen.

Yep, I know about screen (I mentioned it in my original post ;) - what
I'm really after is some kind of network wrapper around it. screen
appears to have some basic network functionality, but I've never gotton
it to work (although, I've not tried that hard) and I also want a few
higher-level functions than it offers. I'm after programmatic access,
for example, and was hoping for something nicer than a fork() and pipes
:/

Cheers,

Alex.