[Gllug] Installing Stuff?

Mike Brodbelt mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk
Mon Dec 10 21:58:27 UTC 2001

On Mon, 2001-12-10 at 21:20, James.Rocks at equant.com wrote:

> Anyway ...a whole page of dependencies was produced:
>
> spike-lx:~/KDE 2.2.1 # rpm -Uvh *.rpm
> error: failed dependencies:
>         libSDL-1.1.so.0 is needed by kdeaddons-2.2.1-25
>         libcrypto.so.0.9.6 is needed by kdebase-2.2.1-17
>         libogg.so.0 is needed by kdebase-2.2.1-17
>         libssl.so.0.9.6 is needed by kdebase-2.2.1-17
>
> My problem is that none of these dependencies appears to relate to a given
> rpm ... how do I find the file in question?

Divine intuition :-). Seriously though, some of this stuff you just need
to make educated guesses at - it's always annoyes the life out of me
that rpm will complian that library X is missing, without tellinh you
where to find it.

FWIW:-
libcrypto and libssl are provided by openssl

many of the others can be found by taking the "lib" off the front, and
looking for a package called that. You can use rpm like so:-

$ rpm -q --whatprovides libssl.so.2
openssl-0.9.6b-8

the catch is if the rpm isn't installed..... it won't tell you. Helpful,
isn't it?

Probably the best way is to go to www.rpmfind.net. For example, OpenSSH
requires openssl - if you were to get an error message indicating that
libcrypto was needed, and didn't know where to find it, you can go to
rpmfind, look for OpenSSH under "packages by name", and under the
"requires" section, click on the libcrypto link. This'll give you a list
of packages that provide that library. Awkward, but at least workable.

RedHat really needs an apt equivalent. I'm in the (slow) process of
heading towards Debian, mostly for the superior package and update
managment.

Mike.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk