[Gllug] Learning Vi/Vim

harry postituk at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 22 02:18:22 UTC 2001

On Friday 21 Dec 2001 12:03 pm, you wrote:
> Are you still enjoying the sun or are you back in town?  A bunch of the
> regulars are doing a last-drink-of-the-year on Saturday.

First a real question about Linux/C (I can hear you all gasp)
I have been thinking about the previous thread about changing text in all the
files in a single directory. To do it in Perl seems very easy but I have been
having a look through my books and cannot see an easy way of doing it in C. I
suppose I could call Perl from the program but that defeats the object. Is it
really that difficult to do it in C???

Also
In my quest to get to grips with C I have been using Vi and gcc. In a
commercial environment what are you all using when you program in C/C++. I
know that Visual Studio seems to be the defacto for windows but what are
people using to program the applications for the Linux environment. I have
seen Glade and Kdevelop. Would it be better to stick to Vi, make and gcc
until comfortable then move to one of these programs????

OFF TOPIC...........
Hi there,
I am indeed back in town as I need to get some Christmas shopping done.  I
have re-read some of my recent posts and I am going to have to stop writing
emails when pissed. Maybe it would be a good idea to have some drunk
detection software on Linux that stopped all outgoing correspondence or a
special user profile, I think this, at least in my case would be a fantastic
idea.
I am in town shopping with the very SO so will be able to come for a swift
gallon and catch up. It will give "god" an opportunity to meet the culprits
who have turned me into a geek. Where is the parched throat of geekdom to
have its thirst quenched this time and at what time?

--

Harry Jackson

2
"We shall generally find that the triangular person has got into the square
hole, the oblong into the triangular, and a square person has squeezed
himself into the round hole. The officer and the office, the doer and the
done, seldom fit so exactly that we can say they were almost made for each
other."
Sydney Smith.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk