[Gllug] Learning Vi/Vim

Pete Ryland pdr at pdr.cx
Sat Dec 22 07:23:39 UTC 2001

On Sat, Dec 22, 2001 at 02:18:22AM +0000, harry wrote:
> On Friday 21 Dec 2001 12:03 pm, you wrote:
> > Are you still enjoying the sun or are you back in town?  A bunch of the
> > regulars are doing a last-drink-of-the-year on Saturday.
>
> First a real question about Linux/C (I can hear you all gasp)
> I have been thinking about the previous thread about changing text in all
> the files in a single directory. To do it in Perl seems very easy but I
> have been having a look through my books and cannot see an easy way of
> doing it in C. I suppose I could call Perl from the program but that
> defeats the object. Is it really that difficult to do it in C???

It's not *that* difficult, but C is not really intended for that purpose.
Perl is.  So in perl it is quite easy, and basically the right tool for the
job.

> Also
> In my quest to get to grips with C I have been using Vi and gcc. In a
> commercial environment what are you all using when you program in C/C++. I
> know that Visual Studio seems to be the defacto for windows but what are
> people using to program the applications for the Linux environment. I have
> seen Glade and Kdevelop. Would it be better to stick to Vi, make and gcc
> until comfortable then move to one of these programs????

Whenever I've been forced to use some company standard IDE, I feel like I
have both hands tied behind my back, and would be better off coding through
a serious of head manoeuvres.  Once you get used to it, vi(m), make and
bash**[1] are the only ide you'll ever want to use.  Actually, I have used
glade, but it is solely a gui design program, and is not so presumptuous as
to limit one's coding environment.

Basically the argument is that when you're coding, you're mostly editing
text, so the most important part of an ide is the text editing interface -
it's got to be quick and efficient.  Most bloated gui IDEs I've used
concentrate all their efforts on weird and wonderful features that let you,
for example, hmm.. can't think of anything right now, but anyway, they have
all these features (that vim probably has anyway) and their text editing
interface is extremely limited and unconfigurable.

**[1] ok maybe I'll allow: emacs, make and zsh.  Ok, or tcsh. Whatever. :)

> OFF TOPIC...........
> Hi there,
> I am indeed back in town as I need to get some Christmas shopping done.  I
> have re-read some of my recent posts and I am going to have to stop
> writing emails when pissed. Maybe it would be a good idea to have some
> drunk detection software on Linux that stopped all outgoing correspondence
> or a special user profile, I think this, at least in my case would be a
> fantastic idea.
> I am in town shopping with the very SO so will be able to come for a swift
> gallon and catch up. It will give "god" an opportunity to meet the
> culprits who have turned me into a geek. Where is the parched throat of
> geekdom to have its thirst quenched this time and at what time?

With you on the drunk-detection software.  I've been trying to work out how
to go about that for a while.  Maybe all mailing software will issue an iq
test when attempted to be used between certain hours?

Pete