[Gllug] [OT] while we're flaming anyway.. (was: Erratic Mouse Behaviour)

will will at hellacool.co.uk
Mon Dec 10 09:55:18 UTC 2001

<flame session intermission>
<Tinkly Music and curtains>
<Ice cream lady>

James.Rocks at equant.com wrote:

> I think Williams suggestion of a Linux Newby forum is a good idea.

I don't think this is a such a good idea (but you have every right to
suggest it).  I joined this list a year ago (?) knowing that Linux
existed and now I run it exclusively as my desktop OS at work and the
primary OS at home on a duel booted machine.  I have gone from knowing
nothing to knowing a fair amount in that time and I remained pretty much
exclusively on this list so I think this list *can* be for everyone.
This is partly why I disagree with Pete Ryland:

Pete Ryland wrote:
 > That said, you should realise that this list is a forum for linux users.
 > That's why it's called a linux users' group.  It's not primarily about
 > helping windows users to learn linux, although, as you may have noticed,
 > most linux users are quite happy to help windows users find their feet
 > within linux.

Well hang on there, how do you join this club of 'Linux Users'?
Basically, if someone uses Linux in some shape or other either as a
server OS or desktop wether they are learning it or not they are a Linux
user.  It is not exclusive, I am also a win98 user as only last night I
was playing Red Faction on my PC (very nice :0) but this email is being
written to you on my linux box at work.

I think what would be most helpful is for those people who are slightly
wiser (smart-arse zealots to Quote John Hearns ;D) could tolerate those
who are learning and those who are slightly newer to tolerate a certain
amount of smart arsed zealotism :-)

</Ice cream lady>
</Tinkly Music and curtains>
</flame session intermission>

Now where did I put my marshmallows and skewers?  Flame on.

Will.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk