[Gllug] Ximian Connector

Axel Segebrecht axel.segebrecht at adamandeve.it
Tue Dec 4 10:44:58 UTC 2001

http://theregister.co.uk/content/4/23164.html

Matthew mentioned this last night and I guess quite a few of
us will have read it by now - so I will just take the opportunity
to open the debate :)

IMHO this 'model' will fail! I don't believe that creating an add
on to work with Exchange is needed anyway.

Friedman argued that it's mainly for companies that already made
their minds up to use proprietary software. I wonder what the hell
they will use Evolution for anyway when they run Exchange and Windoze?

> * he only customers who will buy Ximian Connector have already
> decided on a proprietary environment.

Furthermore he says that he intends to make money from it - it's
$70 a shot (whereas the a complete distro incl. Evolution on disk
sells for just $30). I still don't get it why people would buy
the Connector when it's "easier" to setup a Linux server and clients
to handle all they want to do?

Or will we see Linux Desktops hooked to a Windows Server? (yak)

Axel
http://axel.gardeneden.net/

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk