[Gllug] Re: [Gllug] Fancy a challenge for the Installfest?

Matthew King matthew.king at adamandeve.it
Tue Dec 11 23:41:47 UTC 2001

> For several circumstances I had it in a corner until I could open it

So you nicked it? :-)

> and I saw amazed a Risc computer. When I could look it up in Internet I
>  saw all the stuff about Acorn.
>
> Unfortunatelly I don't have a keyboard for it. I tried one with Windows
>  keys but it didn't work properly (and now I know that it works). And

If it's a Risc PC (or an A7000?) you can use a normal PS/2 keyboard. The
only thing to remember is that the 6-keys (insert, home, pgup, etc.) are
different. I forget what they are though.

> by  then I had no mouse so I don't know whether it works. The computer
> itself works perfectly.

The mouse is a trickier issue - Acorns use, and have always used, their own
style of mouse.

Try some acorn shops (a google search should turn up a few), you might be
able to get a proper keyboard, too.

I suspect they may be a bit pricey though.

> In normal circumstances I'd be the first in enjoying playing with it
> but I don't have time nor resources. In the last LinuxExpo in Olympia
> the guy in the ARM stall told me that Linux couldn't be put on the
> ACORN A4000 but now looking at the internet I've seen it possible. Any

I don't know about this. The main places to look are
http://www.arm.linux.org.uk/ and http://www.debian.org/ports/arm/ (iirc the
arm port of debian is an official port).

It's certainly possible to put it on a Risc PC and up. Again I don't know
for sure about A7000s, but I think it is.

> If nobody accept the challenge but anyone wants it just let me know. It
>  is interesting having a Risc computer at home but useless.

Have fun playing with it. If you can't get Linux, Risc OS is still a damn
fine OS (though not open source :( ). However if you want to get rid of it,
feel free to get rid of it in my direction :-)

Have fun

Matthew

--
K++  w--- O-- M+ V? PS+>++ PE(--) Y+>++ PGP+++@ t+ 5-- X+(-) R tv-