[Gllug] Absolute Silence

t.clarke tim at seacon.co.uk
Mon Dec 17 16:39:26 UTC 2001

---------------------------------------
Message from:-
Tim Clarke  (tim at seacon.co.uk)
Seacon Holdings plc Group, London, U.K.
Telephone: +44 (0)1474 320000
      Fax: +44 (0)1474 329946
---------------------------------------

Silencing the disc drive maybe a rather tricky one.
I presume you are referring to the clicking it makes during head movement
rather than the rotational noise.

Coincidentally I was looking at active noise cancellation the other day for
another purpose. The general conclusion seems to be that it either won't
work (other than using a noise cancelling headset), or would cost a packet !

Silencing the drive directly might be rather dangerous, as anything that would
suppress the sound would most likely also impair its heat dissipation.

I have found however that noises from the PC are often amplified by the case
panels acting as 'sounding boards' (rather like a violin or guitar).
You could try applying suitable dampening material to the inside of the case
panels in such a way as it does not interfere with the overall airflow.
You could try re-mounting the drive so as it does not make direct contact
with the chassis through which vibration is transmitted (rubber grommets ??).

Of course, quieter disc drives are quite cheap these days !

Tim

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk