[Gllug] Linux Roadshow

Richard Cottrill richard_c at tpg.com.au
Fri Dec 7 16:33:19 UTC 2001

That said; do any of the major distributions have a mode/distro where you
get a corporate desktop, rather than a 'workstation'? I mean the sort of
thing that doesn't have a programmer's editor, or perhaps even a compiler
(God forbid). The sort of distro where you can script it to install 1000
times, drop each of those thousand boxes on a different functionary's desks
and have each of them at work in 10 minutes. By the time you're done
everyone should be able to work, and save to the file server, and NOTHING
else.

That's my experience of corporate desktops. Lots of questionable reports
flying about, water-cooler politics, and stationary cupboards being presided
over by swivel chair fascists.

Is there a Linux distribution that can handle such 'stresses'? Windows is
actually remarkably good. It's not stable, it's not secure, it's not fast,
but it's familiar and IT departments are good at spewing out a thousand M$
machines to fill an office. Even the pointy-headed luddites have resigned
themselves learning how to get that latest trojan^H^H^H^H^H^He-card from
across the office.

Richard

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk