[Gllug] Re Gimp/Photoshop

Mike Brodbelt mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk
Sat Dec 8 00:17:05 UTC 2001

On Fri, 2001-12-07 at 11:23, Axel Segebrecht wrote:

> > But are we not forgetting something here....
> > Gimp...FREE (ish) Photoshop.....400ukp +!!!!!
>
> true, BUT Photoshop is for *designers* who use a Mac
> and Gimp is for geeks... .
>
> I've been using Photoshop for more than 6 years now
> doing off-set and digital design and when I tried
> Gimp I found I really couldn't be bothered learning to
> use it LOL (it's nothing like good ol' Photoshop).

Yep - it's not as easy to use. Also, from a companies point of view, if
something is going to press, they're going to be spendingn potentially
thousands on the printing costs. 400ukp for Photoshop is not really a
significant cost if you're going to be doing lots of press work.

If Gimp is to displace Photoshop, it has to be better, feature for
feature, and have an interface that is as easy to use. Currently, it
doesn't - even though it is a great program, and has some *really* cool
stuff (like script-fu).

Mike.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk