[Gllug] Isa Ethernet Card + X

m1k3oh m1k3oh at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 23 02:50:02 UTC 2001

So there I was at work, on Tuesday, with these two 3com Ethernet Cards (ISA) given to me by our Tech Team.

As soon as I arrived home, I ripped open my Quad Boot System and inserted the 3com (3c509b) Card into the only
available Isa slot (The other been hijacked by my Graphics Card).
Win2K detected it straightaway.
After assigning an IP address to this machine and connecting a cross-over cable, I promptly tried Telneting to
my Old Laptop running Debian. Yipee!  It works. Due to Win2k's authentication method, I was unable to Telnet
from Debian to Win2K. No Worries!   I try Ftp'ing into Win2K. Yipee!  That works too.

Since Tuesday, I've left my system running in the Win2K partition, while I played around with my ultra mini
Network.

You can therefore imagine my utter disbelief, this evening, when I logged into my SuSE7.3 Partition only to
find my Mouse not working. That's cool.  Debian has taught me howto get things done at the Command Line. I
only started PANICKING when I logged into my Redhat7.1 Partition and realised that it too was experiencing
problems with X. It detected the new Ethernet Card, helped set-up the IP address etc. then continued the boot
up process. It then started these series of flickers when it was about to ask for my Username/Password.

Now ordinarily.. I'm as cool as a cucumber for a Linux Newbie, But when I'm disallowed full and total access
on my OWN box... I begin to panic.

Guys, Girls... What do I do?

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk