[Gllug] New book - High Performance Mass Storage and Parallel I/O

John Hearns john.hearns at framestore.co.uk
Sun Dec 9 13:54:00 UTC 2001

I saw on another lis tthat this book was out.
Very interesting for those of us who are sad enough to be excited by
large storage arrays and reels of fibre optics.

There's also a chapter on Infiniband, which I'm very interested in.

High Performance Mass Storage and Parallel I/O: Technologies and
Applications

                     A Joint Publication of the: IEEE and Wiley Press

                     Edited by: Hai Jin, Toni Cortes, Rajkumar Buyya

             Foreword by: David Patterson, University of California @
Berkeley

Today’s data-driven high performance computer technologies demand
reliable delivery
systems that combine high-level computing, storage, I/O, and network
communication
performance.  Due to the growth of Internet-driven applications like
digital libraries,
virtual laboratories, video on demand, e-commerce, web services, and
collaborative
systems, issues such as storage capacity and access speed have become
critical in the
design of today's computer systems.

High Performance Mass Storage and Parallel I/O fills the need for a
readily accessible
single reference source on the subject of high-performance, large scale
storage and
delivery systems, specifically the use of Redundant Arrays of
Inexpensive Disks (RAID)
that are accessed using parallel input/output (I/O) architecture. The
authors, all
internationally recognized experts in the field, have combined the best
of the current
literature on the subject with important information on emerging
technologies and future
trends.

Topics covered include:

  * Redundant Disk Array Architectures
  * Fault Tolerance Issues in Disk Arrays
  * Caching and Prefetching
  * Parallel File Systems
  * Parallel I/O Systems
  * Parallel I/O Programming Paradigms
  * Parallel I/O Applications and Environments
  * Emerging Technologies and Future Trends

A valuable resource for both students and computer technology and
professionals in the
field, High Performance Mass Storage and Parallel I/O delivers
state-of-the-art
information that will help today’s system designers and application
developers meet the
increasing demand for high-performance, large-scale storage systems.

For further information and sample chapters (RAID and Infiniband) browse
the book website:
          http://www.buyya.com/superstorage/

The book is available from:

 Wiley: