[Gllug] HP UX and CC

Nix nix at esperi.demon.co.uk
Thu Dec 27 19:27:41 UTC 2001

On Thu, 27 Dec 2001, Darran D. Rimron-Molloy moaned:
>> > I get the same error. Is the Compiler telling me that it is not ANSI
>> > compatible.
>
> No

Er, you mean `yes'. HP's free C compiler does not conform to the ISO C
Standard (there is no `ANSI standard' for C per se).

>> I have just found out that the free compiler shipped with HP is not ANSI
>> compliant.
>
> And is generally, by all who use it, considered pants....

You are too complimentary. It is one of the worst C compilers still on
sale, perhaps *the* worst. But it's not as bad as the assembler in HP-UX
9 and below...

> There are MANY nice people who compile GCC for HPUX and put binaries
> available on webpages, IIRC :)

The GCC team doesn't support these, but see
<http://gcc.gnu.org/install/binaries.html>.

> I advise you to get, install, and use. Even if only in ~

If you want to install in $HOME, you must compile GCC from scratch and
provide the correct --prefix at configure time --- for which you need
GNU make and GNU binutils, on HP-UX. The packages binaries typically
assume a prefix of /usr/local.

(This is because the GCC driver has absolute paths to the compiler
backend and assorted librarie hardcoded into it. Yes, this sucks, but
there isn't an obvious way to fix it.)

There are specific installation instructions for HP-UX; see the GCC website.

--
`Mmm... Maybe I just like strong women that can hurt me?'
     --- Vadik, on female throat-cutting doctors

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk