[Gllug] Bye & Thanks :-)

Darran D. Rimron-Molloy darran at rimron.co.uk
Thu Dec 27 12:45:45 UTC 2001

> I've decided to leave the list because I don't really understand the
> answers I am being given. A classic case in point is my attempts to
> auto-connect (on boot) my linux w/s to a W2K server ... it seems
> to me that this shouldn't be difficult but it seems it is exactly that.

The problem or the solution may not be difficult, but that does not mean it
will be simple to impliment. My wife is a gold-smith, she says resizing my
wedding-ring is easy. I beg to differ.

> I asked here,
> colleagues, friends, looked in books & manuals, on the web and using help
> and man pages ... I get 15 different answers (.profile, fstab, smb.conf,
> autofs & others ... OK, 15's a bit of an exageration but you get the
> picture) none of which I can make work.

There is more than one way to skin a cat. But if your knife isn't sharp
enough.... perhaps more questions were in order.

> I have received some serious quality help (people like Sue, Mike, Wulf &
> Lee spring to mind) but some of you, I feel, need to consider the
> fact that we "Windoze" experts are not bad people and are genuinely
> interested in what your baby, your O/S has to offer but need a
> different kind of help to do it ...

Then ask more questions. Did anyone "bite"?

> as Mark Minasi says, I don't need to know what networking, file
> permissions, logging on & security issues are (I already know that) but I
> DO want to know in what respect linux differs from Windows in those
> respects.

A solution suggested by person A and suspected to be secure and reliable may
not be because they may have mis-considered one of your "list" of things
they already know - corrective advice is how we learn.

> For that matter some of you need to understand that "Windoze" is
> a good OS ... admitedly it isn't as flexible as Linux but then again it
> doesn't need a computer techie to run it effectively.  :-)

I disagree. I have used Windows since version 3.0 - I just installed XP on
my laptop, and it took me a long time to get to drips with some of the
changes and put things to a way that I liked so I could "run if effectively"
some of those things required all sorts of "techie" solutions (changing the
registry, for example) - Windows, in many respects, requires more technical
skills than Linux to mess around with - I can say to my new admin, look in
"slash E T C groups" to find out who is in the print group - that is most of
the inforamtion they would need.... Windows is alot more complex than Linux
in many respects....

Just because it's got a gooey, doesn't mean it's easier to use....

> I am not giving up on Linux, as I say above I consider linux to be very
> flexible but you seem to need to be of a particular mentality to
> love it,

That being? Answers such as "sadists", "microsoft haters" and "old
fashioned" will be disregarded as blinkered :)

> plan to continue running it alongside my "Windoze" systems and hopefully
> get to know it and use it better ... it remains my intention to
> one day use it as my primary OS as I feel that to assess it the only
> way I can do so properly is to use it "in anger".

Perhap "in anger" is how you view it - I started with Linux and got no-where
fast, until I removed windows from my computer after I got a working net
connection, altavista and a copy of lynx. So I had to go without email for 3
days, made me learn how to fix it all the faster.  I found using Linux a
baptism by fire, and compiling my first kernel on a 386 is something I will
never forget, but I feel all the better for it now :) I frequently switch
between Win32 and Linux with great comfort and productivity - there is alot
to be said for learning things "the hard way" :)

> I wish you all well ... happy christmas :-)

Bah Humbug :)

	-Darran

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk