[Gllug] DHCP & DNS

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Thu Dec 6 13:59:24 UTC 2001

On Thu, Dec 06, 2001 at 01:40:42PM +0000, John Hearns wrote:
> I know for a fact that at least one major London teaching hospital
> shut down its email server for most of yesterday, due to the
> Goner virus.
>
> Doesn't that concern many people? Especially when we are being told
> that the Health Service must move towards a modern electronic
> infrastructure, with online access to electronic patient records?
> And the day before the head of Microsoft visits the UK?
>
> What the heck will happen if doctors and nurses start to depend on
> email?
> Actually, being smart people, they are more likely to reject
> use of email for vital messages if things like these virus scares are
> common- they're not stupid, and they won't come to rely on email.
> They'll just use the phone and fax as at the moment.

My sister is a GP in Glasgow. She recently told me that their email
was down for a fortnight (& still not fixed) due to some virus/worm or
another - & I think that it still wasn't fixed. This (I gather) affected
most of her area/Scotland.

I wonder what Bill will do when server with a writ for causing death by negligence ?

--
Alain Williams

#include <std_disclaimer.h>

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk