[Gllug] vi indenting ...

tet at accucard.com tet at accucard.com
Wed Dec 19 08:51:48 UTC 2001

>while we are on the topics of paragraphs and formating, how do you
>format a paragraph. as in a block of text formated, to say 76
>characters wraping words? (in vi)

In standard vi:

	{!}fmt -76

In vi, on an OS with decent utilities installed:

	{!}par 76

In vim:

	{gq}

The last two options are vastly preferred if you have them, as they give
you more control over the output (:help fo-table in vim will give you
details). par, in particular, is an amazing tool that everyone should have.

Of course, all of the above can all be mapped to a single keystroke if
you want...

Tet

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk