[Gllug] Linux To MS Networking

James.Rocks at equant.com James.Rocks at equant.com
Wed Dec 5 19:11:40 UTC 2001

Hi Jim,

> Samba is the way to go it does both a file sharing and a PDC
> for M$ networks with Netatalk you can support Macs too.  Turn
> your linux box into the DHCP server, ISC do a nice one, it
> will handle all clients including any guest macs or other 'nix.
> Read the documentation carefully (yeah, yeah, yeah I know do
> as I say not as I do) ;-)

Yes ... I'm gathering that Samba is the way to go for this :-)

Netatalk I don't need just yet as I have no Macs in my home network
and wouldn't know a great deal about using one if I did (I wouldn't
mind one though, if only to fins out if they're any good).

DHCP on linux is a bit early as it is only my workstation that is linux ...
my domain controller (the only PC that remains on permanently) is NT and
has nearly 100Gb of data on it which is going to be no mean feat in terms
of migrating :-(

RTFM is a good idea 'tis true but I'm impatient and want to try using Linux
"in anger" to see if it is possible to do all that I can do on Win2K with
reasonable ease ... I suspect I can (& potentially more) but it is going to
take time to get oriented to it.

> Take your time backing up the relatively simple config files so
> you can go back to them. It is not a hard job even I can do it. :-)

Question: can linux handle DLT (40Gb) tape drives and, if so, can it back
up & restore data to an MS server across a network?

Thanks

James

James C. Rocks,
Technical Development Consultant
Archway House,
Canary Wharf.
EQUANT
E-Mail:    james.rocks at equant.com (work)
Phone:   07771-767405 (mobile), 0207-5226856 (work)

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk