[Gllug] DHCP & DNS

Robin.Cannings at arm.com Robin.Cannings at arm.com
Thu Dec 6 10:51:12 UTC 2001

If your linux box is a workstation I'm presuming you are using dns and dhcp
under w2k.
In this case w2k is capable of doing dynamic updates to its dns - can't
remember where to set this of the top of my head. But make sure to tell it
to expect workstations to try and update.
One gotcha to look for is that under w2k you MUST enable the dhcp server in
a dialog box in the DNS server or it will completely ignore it.
For updates from the linux side you are best off using the ISC dhcp client,
I'll try and remember to look up the details for w2k tonight. I've also got
the dhcp book from isc - I'll have a look later!

Cheers
Rob

Robin Cannings                                       robin.cannings at arm.com
Systems Administrator
ARM Ltd
http://www.arm.com

|--------+---------------------------------------->
|        |          Jonathan Dye                  |
|        |          <jonathan.dye at automationpartne|
|        |          rship.com>                    |
|        |          Sent by:                      |
|        |          gllug-admin at linux.co.uk       |
|        |                                        |
|        |                                        |
|        |          06/12/2001 09:03              |
|        |          Please respond to gllug       |
|        |                                        |
|--------+---------------------------------------->
  >--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |                                                                                                                                            |
  |      To:     gllug at linux.co.uk                                                                                                             |
  |      cc:                                                                                                                                   |
  |      Subject:     [Gllug] DHCP & DNS                                                                                                       |
  >--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

I would like to set up a range of DHCP addresses on my home network so that
I can just plug my machine (and vistors) in and they'll get access without
recnfiguring them.
The problem I have is with DNS.  I would like to be able to have my
machines keep there hostnames with diffrent ip addresses. So if I plug my
laptop in and it gets ip 10.0.0.5 then when I do
host laptop.mynetwork
I want to get 10.0.0.5
I would like this to work for windows boxes as well as linux if possible.
Is there a way to do this or am is it just wishful thinking?

JD

MessageLabs Virus Scanning Service

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk