[Gllug] Installing Linux software (Part II)

James.Rocks at equant.com James.Rocks at equant.com
Wed Dec 12 18:48:47 UTC 2001

Hi John,

> > No.  It's more complex than what you are used to but far less chaotic.
> > It's just that steep learning curve again.
> > Maintaining Windows is simpler - chuck in the service pack, hope it
> > doesn't bugger anything too badly, resign yourself to a reinstall if it
> > does - but it's simply chaotic, inflexible and underpowered.

> Just by way of explanation to all involved, Bruce ISN'T spoiling for
> a flamefest. He's used some strongly-worded phrases, which I assume
> James can take without being offended.

Er ... I read his reply with interest and saw no reason to take offence,
seemed quite helpful to me (Ta Bruce!)

> Just stick with us a few weeks, mate, and you'll be down the bar
> raving about your favourite distro with the rest of us... Or just
> maybe raving...

Perhaps, but I suspect it'll take time ... it is also probably worth noting
that as I am/have been (delete as applicable) a Windows/Computing freak and
have big time problems with evangelists of any kind (MAC evangelists spring
to mind) I'm unlikely to go evangelistic on something myself ... having
said that, if I recognise value in something, I'll damned well say it :-)

> But the way, as I've said before, just what IS it with Linux and beer? I
> saw today on the Opennms list that the Atlanta LUG is called ALE.
> And we're GLLUG.

I don't think it's necessarily Linux just anything you're real freaky about
and can lead to disagreements ... I don't think you can truly be passionate
about something unless you thrash it out with your friends over several
pints of that bars best brew (and I don't mean no lager shyte either)! My
friends and I go down the pub fairly regularly where the subjects for
discussion are computing, SF, atheism, religion, politics, Afghanistan &
whatever's been happening lately in the "Buffyverse" ... B5 used to be on
the agenda but it's a bit old hat :-)

> So, James, a question I've often wanted to know. Do Microsofties go
> down the bar and spout on about their favourite version of
> Windows? :-)

If there's a new version out or someone's got a BETA then yes, if someone's
got new S/W or H/W then definitely. Yes we are freaky about what we like
and that includes our favoured OS's ... so with my current serious attempt
to investigate Linux I am subject to much ridicule (which is fine ... as
you've seen I am more than willing to defend myself [G]) but there has
9recently) been a more tolerant attitude amongst my friends to it and the
friend of mine that is most anti-Linux is now considering field testing the
UNIX variant "Darwin" which I would also like to do (naturally, being
hardened atheists we both rather like the idea of using an OS named after
the man credited with discovering evolution).

Personally I feel that the MS move to make everything totally
"user-friendly" is making it more glossy and more appealing to the masses
and less so to the hard-line techie ... I have installed XP (Home) for a
friend and have a (slightly dubious) copy of the Pro version but I have not
yet installed it., Partly this is coz I value a stable working platform but
partly because I am not particularly motivated or inspired by the new OS.

James (who hopes that that explains it adequately)

James C. Rocks,
Technical Development Consultant
Archway House,
Canary Wharf.
EQUANT
E-Mail:    james.rocks at equant.com (work)
Phone:   07771-767405 (mobile), 0207-5226856 (work)

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk