[Gllug] Installing Stuff?

gllug at uncertainty.org.uk gllug at uncertainty.org.uk
Tue Dec 11 15:27:20 UTC 2001

On Tue, Dec 11, 2001 at 04:07:30PM +0200, Ivan Dimitrov wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Dec 2001 gllug at uncertainty.org.uk wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Dec 11, 2001 at 11:53:02AM +0000, Jim Bailey wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > to paraphrase the Mutt guy all package management systems suck even my
> > > beloved Debian's dpkg, dselect, apt-get stuff.  I tend to use them to get
> > > the basics and simple cmd line tools such as lsof if you want control and
> > > to do things properly source code and compile time flags I found it not
> > > that difficult after the first couple of times and often it is the only
> > > way to get packages to interact the way you want.
> > >

> > I agree - I haven't tried  Debian yet but I have found working from
> > source and running RPMs to both be very frustrating - especially in
> > terms of tracking dependancies - but also just keeping track of what is
> > on your system!
> >
> > sticking to a distro makes it easier to download thier updates and run
> > rpm -F * on them :)
> >
> > but you lose so much flexibility this way :(
> >
> > compliling from source is easy enough and you get full power - but you
> > have to keep track of any security issues and updates by yourself :(
> >
> > I have yet to find a good way of keeping tabs on the latest releases of
> > source packages - subscribing to a list per package is a pian.
> >
> you make a habbit to check every day freshmeat.net

well it's not really something I want to do every day !

and freshmeat tells me about thousand more packages than I need to know
about.

what I would love is a list of all updates with a filter for packages I
have installed and when I last updated.

I can't see any way of doing this on fm (am I blind ?)

--

Sean :)