[Gllug] HTML editors

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Tue Dec 18 17:09:54 UTC 2001

On 12/18/01, 2:01:14 PM, "Paul Brazier" <pbrazier at cosmos-uk.co.uk> wrote
regarding RE: [Gllug] HTML editors :

> I don't have any figures to back this up but I think I spend more time
> thinking than typing when I'm coding. I'll type the basic data in first
> (you could touch-type for this) then most of the time is spent thinking
> and not typing at all or making small changes here and there or cutting
> and pasting small blocks of text around. For this I want to use as few
> keys as possible so Ctrl, Shift, c, v, arrow keys and PgUp, PgDn, Del,
> Home, End are fine.

This is why there is no one true editor.  Though greater familiarity with
the  Vi/Vim navigation/selection keys might change your mind, you never
know.  The thing with Vim is to be daring: you can combine movement
commands with formatting commands to swoop across your document.

> I do occasionally find myself trying to do :wq though when using some MS
> editor.

Hah!  You are marked for life.  It is only a matter of time before you
yield to the dark side.

> I am using mutt at home but I don't think its power comes from being
> text-based - I think a X version of it could work just as well as be
> just as powerful.

For me that would only be true if the keyboard interface remained as
all-powerful and I have never yet seen a GUI app that manages that.
Besides, I prefer the text display of Mutt/Vim to any GUI mail client.

It's a matter of personal taste.  Mine has become ever more austere.  I
hate anything that makes me reach for the mouse or a function key unless
absolutely necessary.  I use a text mail client, a text news client, a
text web browser and window managers that are designed expressly to be
keyboard controlled.

--

Bruce

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk