[Gllug] Windows -> Linux

Richard Cottrill richard_c at tpg.com.au
Thu Dec 6 12:26:29 UTC 2001

Perhaps this is a little close to the bleeding edge for general deployment,
but...

I like the idea of almost locking people out of their own machines and
having them SMB mount $HOME from the NT file server. I can see huge benefits
for managing the system (virus scans, backups, you name it).

Or you could look at running a few larger servers and effectively using the
machines as dumb X terminals/clients. I don't think there'd be any problem
with the bulk of the client machines in that case. You might find the set-up
a lot more cost effective in terms of maintenance, hardware, etc. You could
make problem resolution a lot quicker for the users (Random crashes? Swap
for a known 'good' machine and see if it happens again. No? Dodgey
soft/hardware: re-image/re-build).

I think there's still some life left in the big server - dumb terminal
combo.

Just some ideas. I recall an article on freshmeat (maybe) on the topic. If
you get all enthusiastic you could track it down for some more specific
info.

Richard

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk