[Gllug] Bye & Thanks :-)

James.Rocks at equant.com James.Rocks at equant.com
Thu Dec 27 12:05:34 UTC 2001

Hi Guys,

I've decided to leave the list because I don't really understand the
answers I am being given. A classic case in point is my attempts to
auto-connect (on boot) my linux w/s to a W2K server ... it seems to me that
this shouldn't be difficult but it seems it is exactly that. I asked here,
colleagues, friends, looked in books & manuals, on the web and using help
and man pages ... I get 15 different answers (.profile, fstab, smb.conf,
autofs & others ... OK, 15's a bit of an exageration but you get the
picture) none of which I can make work.

I have received some serious quality help (people like Sue, Mike, Wulf &
Lee spring to mind) but some of you, I feel, need to consider the fact that
we "Windoze" experts are not bad people and are genuinely interested in
what your baby, your O/S has to offer but need a different kind of help to
do it ... as Mark Minasi says, I don't need to know what networking, file
permissions, logging on & security issues are (I already know that) but I
DO want to know in what respect linux differs from Windows in those
respects. For that matter some of you need to understand that "Windoze" is
a good OS ... admitedly it isn't as flexible as Linux but then again it
doesn't need a computer techie to run it effectively.  :-)

I am not giving up on Linux, as I say above I consider linux to be very
flexible but you seem to need to be of a particular mentality to love it, I
plan to continue running it alongside my "Windoze" systems and hopefully
get to know it and use it better ... it remains my intention to one day use
it as my primary OS as I feel that to assess it the only way I can do so
properly is to use it "in anger".

I wish you all well ... happy christmas :-)

James

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk