[Gllug] GIMP/PSP (was "Gimp/Photoshop")

Wulf Forrester-Barker wulf.f-b at uhl.nhs.uk
Mon Dec 10 12:17:45 UTC 2001

James <James.Rocks at equant.com> asked:

> Does anyone know how GIMP compares with Paint Shop Pro?

I used to be an avid PSP user (round about v3... c. 1998) and then
discovered the GIMP. I didn't find it too hard to get my head round the
GIMP and made the switch.

A couple of months ago, I was visiting a friend and got the chance to
play on a much more recent version of PSP (v7?). I was pleased to see
that all sorts of extra things (like multiple layers / transparency) had
been introduced but I found the couple of hours I spent with it fairly
frustrating. Obviously it was at the start of another learning curve,
but I didn't find the promise of anything I could do with PSP that I
couldn't do with the GIMP.

Maybe others have pressed their investigations further, but on the
basis of a fair amount of experience (primarily with web graphics), I
found nothing to make me want to switch back to a proprietary package
from the GIMP.

Of course, you may be looking at it the other way round - what would
make you want to switch from the version of PSP you already have to the
GIMP? If so, maybe you could suggest a couple of effects you like to use
on PSP and we could see if the GIMP can do something similar.

Wulf

wulf.f-b at uhl.nhs.uk

DISCLAIMER:

Any opinions expressed in this email are those of the individual and
not necessarily the Trust. This email and any files transmitted with
it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual
or entity to whom they are addressed. Any unauthorised disclosure of
the information contained in this e-mail is strictly prohibited.

The contents of this email may contain software viruses which could
damage your own computer system. Whilst we have taken every
reasonable precaution to minimise this risk, we cannot accept liability
for any damage which you sustain as a result of software viruses.
You should therefore carry out your own virus checks before opening
the attachment.

If you have received this email in error please notify the sender or
postmaster at uhl.nhs.uk. Please then delete this email.

University Hospital Lewisham
Tel: 020 8333 3000
Web: www.uhl.ac.uk