[Gllug] Installing Stuff?

gllug at uncertainty.org.uk gllug at uncertainty.org.uk
Tue Dec 11 13:08:46 UTC 2001

On Tue, Dec 11, 2001 at 11:53:02AM +0000, Jim Bailey wrote:
> Hi,
>
> to paraphrase the Mutt guy all package management systems suck even my
> beloved Debian's dpkg, dselect, apt-get stuff.  I tend to use them to get
> the basics and simple cmd line tools such as lsof if you want control and
> to do things properly source code and compile time flags I found it not
> that difficult after the first couple of times and often it is the only
> way to get packages to interact the way you want.

I agree - I haven't tried  Debian yet but I have found working from
source and running RPMs to both be very frustrating - especially in
terms of tracking dependancies - but also just keeping track of what is
on your system!

sticking to a distro makes it easier to download thier updates and run
rpm -F * on them :)

but you lose so much flexibility this way :(

compliling from source is easy enough and you get full power - but you
have to keep track of any security issues and updates by yourself :(

I have yet to find a good way of keeping tabs on the latest releases of
source packages - subscribing to a list per package is a pian.

mind you gllug is pretty handy for keeping up to date - there is always
someone boasting about having just upgraded to the latest thing ;-)

--

Sean