[Gllug] Linux Roadshow

Ian Scott ian.scott at mediasurface.com
Fri Dec 7 14:24:49 UTC 2001

>I know how you feel I moved from M$ to Linux some time ago and found the
>change confusing at first.  I don't know if it will work for you but I
>found my skills increased faster using the command line rather than
>learning loads of different GUI like Swat and linuxconfig to make life
>easier, suddenly all I had to learn was Bash and Vi.

In my experience, the GUI tools can be handy (eg. setting up a dialup
connection with kppp is easier than ppp and chat) - but they tend to
be limited.  Also, because they are newer, I often find they are less
well documented (certainly KDE 1 docs had a lot of holes in them -
there are several useful features which are pretty well hidden!).
With dyed-in-the-wool cmdline stuff, there's usually a fair amount of
help info out there on the web.

Incidently, I love vi as much as the next geek, but it's a bit
daunting for newbies - the whole mode thing confuses nearly everyone!
As a console text editor, the latest version of jed is pretty cool -
drop down menus and stuff - you no longer need to learn loads of
control key stuff before it's useful. If you're running X, there are
plenty of newbie-friendly text editors out there - gnome and kde both
have fairly good ones.

(Before anyone moans, I KNOW they're not as powerful as vi or emacs,
but most people don't need much functionality, and they are a lot
easier to learn)

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk