[Gllug] C libraries on Red Hat 7.1

Julie Hui jmh at digital-science.net
Thu Dec 20 15:34:07 UTC 2001

I suppose after all this time lurking it's time for this newbie to finally
ask a question.

I popped Red Hat 7.1 onto a laptop and the boss man gave a hand picking out
which packages I needed installed for our current project.  My problem and
question revolves around some strange output that I'm getting from C
programs that I've been compiling with gcc:

18370:  symbol=malloc;  lookup in file=./freader
18370:  symbol=malloc;  lookup in file=/lib/i686/libc.so.6
18370:  symbol=malloc;  lookup in file=/lib/ld-linux.so.2
18370:  binding file ./freader to /lib/i686/libc.so.6: normal symbol
'malloc' [GLIBC_2.0]

I can only guess that there's a screwup somewhere in the install of the c
library files, but I'm scratching my head as to a fix.  The program runs
fine on a friend's system (unfortunately I can't remember what flavour of
linux he's running these days).

Any suggestions?

- Jules

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk