[Gllug] YOPY - Linux PDA

Les Till les_till at cableinet.co.uk
Fri Dec 21 14:17:55 UTC 2001

Les Till wrote:

> > Xander D Harkness wrote:
> > >
> > > http://www.sharp.co.uk/pda/pda.htm
> > > http://www.zauruszone.com
> > >
> > Better get my message early up here as I find that looking at this with
> >  Netscape I get some very strange behavior.
> > Trying to scroll down to where the word 'scroll' is writ bold the
> > following
> > happens. The screen goes black and I am dumped back into my graphic
> > login
> > screen. happens every time?
> ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
> Further poking around re the above observation seems to suggest to me
> that there are some unusual characters in the area where my screen bombs
> out. The italicised version of the 'old' message, that comes up with a
> single
> click on the Netscape list of messages, is OK but a double click that
> gets
> the message with 'old' text emboldened bombs out as one scrolls down to
> read
> the area with the unusual characters. I guess Netscape cannot carry out
> the
> embolden function on these characters.
> Perhaps I am using the wrong character set?Les Till wrote:
> >
> > Xander D Harkness wrote:
> > >
> > > http://www.sharp.co.uk/pda/pda.htm
> > > http://www.zauruszone.com
> > >
> > Better get my message early up here as I find that looking at this with
> >  Netscape I get some very strange behavior.
> > Trying to scroll down to where the word 'scroll' is writ bold the
> > following
> > happens. The screen goes black and I am dumped back into my graphic
> > login
> > screen. happens every time?
> > > This is on sale now ;-)
> > >
> > > There are only a couple of areas where it does not replace a laptop, gpg
> > > and mail client.
> > >
> > > I am sure gpg will get ported to it in the near future and it will
> > > allegedly support imap4 in the near future.
> > >
> > > I have one, it is a fantastic tool.
> > >
> > > The keyboard is useful while on the move, I can scp and ssh into it if I
> > > want to edit data on it.  I am looking forward to the release of a palm
> > > style collapsing keyboard.
> > >
> > > Opera on this device is easily good enough for reading slashdot and
> > > other news sites.  It also has lynx if you prefer.
> > >
> > > Cheers
> > > Xander

> +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
> > > This is on sale now ;-)
> > >
> > > There are only a couple of areas where it does not replace a laptop, gpg
> > > and mail client.
> > >
> > > I am sure gpg will get ported to it in the near future and it will
> > > allegedly support imap4 in the near future.
> > >
> > > I have one, it is a fantastic tool.
> > >
> > > The keyboard is useful while on the move, I can scp and ssh into it if I
> > > want to edit data on it.  I am looking forward to the release of a palm
> > > style collapsing keyboard.

> [...]
Well theoretically this screen should also bomb out on me but it
doesn't!
Whatever I've done whilst messing around with character sets seems to
have
cured it. I can scroll up and down and the unusual characters are
displayed
correctly all emboldened. The earlier suspect messages still cause a
screen
panic. Perhaps I should now be looking at some system logs somewhere?

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk